Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Not Giving Up

I am preparing a course on transformational leadership (TL) so the topic is on my mind as I rethink the implications of TL for everyday life. The question foremost on my mind is just how many of us are transformational leaders. In my leadership pilgrimage just what could I have done to be more transformational?

Here’s a quick review of TL. Bass (1985) stated that TL is made up of behaviors that are often referred to as the four I’s:

1. Idealized influence
2. Individualized consideration
3. Inspirational motivation
4. Intellectual stimulation

He contrasted TL behavior with that of transactional leadership which he stated has three behaviors:

1. Contingent reward
2. Active management by exception
3. Passive management by exception

Bass and Riggio (2006) stated that the theory is still intact. In preparing for the class I was thinking why I have not heard so much about TL in recent years. The lack of attention in recent years is especially interesting when one remembers that Bass (1996, 1997) said that TL is considered effective in any situation. Terresa and I have written extensively on international leadership with a focus on Canada and so the reference to cross cultural effectiveness caught my attention. Perhaps the simple answer to our research on effective leadership in Canada or any other place is to form transformational leaders.

Would that it were so easy. How many of us apply the four I’s in all of leadership situations? The more difficult question is, “How many of us know how to help form four I type of leaders?” I am guessing that very few help to form such leaders in their lifetime. But I for one refuse to give up trying. I believe that transformation on personal and organizational levels is so important that I am willing to continue to fight the good fight.

Later in the month I am speaking to a group of 28 missionaries. I have been evaluating the years of international service and I made a list of all those who with whom I’ve helped to form in leadership over the years. There are many sad stories to tell including some downright disasters. The good news is that there are a few transformational leaders among the list. Yes! Some are outside my home culture. There are many on the list where the final story has not been told. I include myself on that list.

Join me in seeking the ideal, the formation of transformational leaders who are in turn able to influence others. It is a worthy life purpose.

References:
Bass, B. M. (1985). Leadership and performance beyond expectations. New York: Free Press.
Bass, B.M. (1996). A new paradigm of leadership: An inquiry into transformational leadership. Alexandria, VA: U.S. Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences.
Bass, B.M. (1997). Does the transactional-transformational paradigm transcend organizational and national boundaries? American Psychologist, 52, 130-139.
Bass, B.M. & Riggio, R.E. (2006). Transformational Leadership (2nd Ed.). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc

No comments:

Post a Comment