Thursday, December 2, 2010

Preferred Profile, CLT

I accept the theory that each society has a preferred leadership style. House et al. proposed that leadership practices vary from culture to culture. In order to label the varying practices, they listed six culturally endorsed implicit theories of leadership (CLT) that you mention above. Understanding the preferred profile style in a given culture is extremely important for leadership effectiveness.

In my dissertation research I found that Peruvians, or at least those living in Lima, have a preferred style. An understanding of that style has helped me to modify my own style as I practice leadership in Lima. Peruvians and Latin Americans in general believe that the number one ability of a leader is to communicate well verbally. That is part of preferring a Charismatic/Value-Based style. It has made me realize I cannot be lazy about growing in my ability to speak Spanish. also need to stress my personal appearance more than I would in my home culture.

I believe that the effective leader needs to vary his style according to the expectations of the followers. Of course one cannot compromise his or her integrity or basic core values but it is possible to vary styles and stay within ethical practices. If the leader adapts his style to fit with the new culture he/she shows respect for the new culture and is likely to win the follower’s loyalty.

Tomorrow I will share a bit about what that all means for the Canadian leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment